Wednesday, March 25, 2015

"Happy, Happy Day" Layout Tutorial with Susan Tidwell

 
"HAPPY, HAPPY DAY" LAYOUT
Crate Paper- Craft Market
 


Hi everyone, Susan T. here with a layout tutorial for you using the lovely "Craft Market" papers from Crate Paper. 
 I love the soft hues of this collection and it suited my photos of the day our newest grandson came home and his 2-year-old brother finally got to meet him.
I used an easy watercolor technique on the background using the new Cracked Pistachio Distress Ink. This new color is beautiful and matches this paper line so well.
Take a medium-size acrylic block and smoosh (technical term!)
the ink pad on it and then spritz it with water until it beads up.


"Stamp" with the inked block randomly over the "Craftsman" paper. Press down harder if you want more coverage; press lightly to get a droplet effect. Repeat this until you have the desired coverage. So much easier than painting with a brush!


Here you can see that I started where my photos would be to practice first. It gets "patchier" toward the outer edges.


I added a torn strip of Doodlebug Bubble Gum Sprinkles Vellum by machine-stitching it over a few paper elements. This eliminated the need for adhesive which will show through the vellum.
Here you can see the envelope piece cut from the "Project w/ Gold" paper and a strip of the "Thrifty" paper
(I think that paper is my favorite of all the collection!)


I continued to layer cut and torn pieces of several of the papers ("Studio," "Inspired w/ Gold", and "Thrifty") and added stickers from the Journaling and Title Accent Sticker Sheet.  
After adding my photos I embellished with the Puffy Gold Stickers (stars, hearts and arrows).


In this photo you can see a portion of the Wood Veneer Hoop that I added over the larger photo to highlight my two cute little grandsons.  I loved that it looked like a real wooden hoop so I used it as is.  I also used one of the paper strips to fold over an American Craft Paper Straw to make a flag.  The polka dot strip came from Craft Market- Studio Paper at the very bottom of this photo is actually a barcode strip from one of the papers - I love that some manufacturers add these patterns and I use them frequently!


Here you can see one of the Wood Veneer Tags w/ Gold Glitter Accents. I added number stickers from the sticker sheet for the year, added a scrap of printed paper to cover the hole of the tag and embellished with another heart puffy sticker.  I used the Wood Veneer Circle w/ Gold Glitter Accents in the upper right corner of my layout, adding the date of the photos with a gold Uniball Signo pen.

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and love these papers and embellishments as much as I do. It's a versatile, pretty paper collection and it's available now at The Little Blue House or
online here!



Susan Tidwell
 

4 comments:

  1. So great to see pictures of your two Grandsons as well as some great techniques, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip Susan and love your layout and those little cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I like how you use a soft color palette and make it work with boys! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!