Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The 12 Days of Ornaments - Day 3

Hello everyone.  Susan here with the third ornament of our Little Blue House series.  I hope you have been enjoying our handmade creations.

Today we are going to make this cute little snowman hat ornament.  
Those of you who know me know that I love to save and recycle as much as possible.  Can you guess what I used for the base of the ornament?  An empty ribbon spool!  Now don't despair if you don't have one in your stash; I am also listing the dimensions of chipboard you can substitute for the spool. 

Here is a list of the supplies I used:
empty ribbon spool (OR - chipboard: one 3 1/4" circle; one 2" circle; one 1" x 6 1/2" strip)
one 1 3/4" circle chipboard
adhesive - FabricTac
black acrylic paint
one piece of black craft felt
6" thin red satin ribbon
6 1/2" red scalloped velvet ribbon
one green doily, approx. 1 1/4"
one tiny white poinsettia



The spool I used was from one-inch-wide ribbon so the hat would be a good height.

First you need to cut off the top of the ribbon spool.


Then you will trace the bottom of the spool twice on a piece of black felt.  (Mine were 3 1/4" circles.)  I used a blue ballpoint pen and it showed up well enough on the felt to see the line while cutting.  Cut both circles out.  (TIP:  to cut circles easily, turn what you are cutting rather than your scissors - you will get a nicer, smoother cut!)



Trace the top (open part) of the spool onto chipboard and cut out the circle just inside the  traced line (my circle was 2").  Use the chipboard circle as a template to cut out another circle of felt, cutting approximately 1/8" away from the chipboard so the felt circle will be slightly larger.





Now you will paint the top and bottom edges of the spool with black acrylic paint to avoid having them show when the felt is adhered to the spool.  This could also be done with a black Sharpie or other permanent pen.  (Here's a recycling tip for you:  save those fake credit cards that come in your junk mail to use as a palette when using paints or glues.  Just throw away when finished - no clean up!)




Glue one of the larger felt circles to the bottom of the spool.  I used FabricTac (available at The Little Blue House) for this project as I was adhering felt and ribbon.


Place the small chipboard circle in the center of the other large black felt circle, trace and cut out the center.  You will now have a black donut!







Glue this piece down to the top of the hat brim as shown below. Trim edges as necessary.



Measure the height of your spool (mine was  1") and the circumference around (mine was 6 1/2").  Cut a strip of black felt this measurement - 1" x 6 1/2" and glue to the side of the spool.




Glue the small chipboard circle to the small felt circle  Punch a hole with a cropadile in the center and thread narrow red satin ribbon through the hole from the underside to the top.  Knot and tape or glue to further secure the ribbon to the chipboard.







Glue this piece to the top of the spool,  completing the hat.  Isn't it cute?  Now we need to decorate it.  I glued a 6 1/2" piece of scalloped red velvet ribbon above the hat brim and then finished it off with  a tiny, hand-crocheted doily and white poinsettia.  (The ribbon, doily and poinsettia are all available at The Little Blue House!)


So now you can add your little ornament to your tree and enjoy it all season long!

Leave a comment on this post and tell me what your favorite Christmas movie is.  Our family loves to watch "Christmas Vacation" - maybe because we have much in common with the Griswolds!  Remember, one lucky commenter will win one of these little hats!

Congratulations to our Day 2 ornament winner - CASEY!  Please call the Little Blue House at 817-431-7930 or drop by during store hours to claim your prize!

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to return tomorrow to see another wonderful ornament!
Susan
http://susan-artfulmusings.blogspot.com


30 comments:

  1. What darling little hats! It's great that you recycled the spool...those little things are sturdy too. Love Actually is my favorite Christmas movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I adore recycled crafts! This is quite cute! I have all the supplies (for once) lol

    My favorite movie is the original Miracle on 34th Street with Natalie Woods! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good question for today's giveaway! My favorite is Miracle on 34th Street! Love your ornament Susan!!!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well you clever girls...this is the cutest little snowmans hat...my tree is gonna be so pretty this year thanks to you guys...

    charlie brown's christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, cute little hat ornament! My favorite Christmas movie is A Charlie Brown Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally awesome! Susan, I keep everything thinking I might be able to use it for something. Can't wait to make this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These ornaments are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I collect Snowmen so this is one I will have to try. My favorite movie .. very old fashioned, but Miracle on 34th st with natalie wood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, this is so cute...would make a great placecard holder on a holiday table and then each guest could take them home as a little gift. Favorite holday movie is Elf...makes me laugh and cry every time I watch it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute little hat!
    My favorite Christmas movie is not really a Christmas movie but we watch it every year at Christmas time - Grump Old Men!

    Hugs,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea, Susan! I knew I was saving spools for a reason! Thank you for the idea! Charlie Brown Christmas is one of my favorite Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. goodness this is just too sweet! thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic idea! I have been saving my ribbon spools thinking I would eventually have a use for them. Now, I know what I can do! Thanks for sharing. Our favorite Christmas movie is The Grinch Who Stole Christmas the old one AND the newer version with Jim Carrey. We watch it while we decorate the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas is not complete without watching "It's A Wonderful Life". Cute little snowman hat. I think I might even be able to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so so cute and they look pretty easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a Wonderful Life for me ... the boys can't get enough of Rudolf and Frosty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the Snowman Hat....will have to make some. Our family watches the 24 hour rerun of The Christmas Story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, you did it again!! Made something adorable from scraps!! The hat is so so cute!!You are such a clever scrapper!!
    Picking a favorite Christmas movie is so hard because I love them all!! It's tradition that Christmas decorating can't start until we've seen "The Grinch" (the old animated one).We watch "Home Alone" and all the others, but my side of the family HAS to watch "A Christmas Carol" that was filmed in black and white back in the 50's!! It's not Christmas without that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, so cute, I love little snowman hat, I enjoy making things out of recyclables & scraps good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Forgot is Miracle on 34th street!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Christmas movies! All of them! But the one that the family always wants to watch first is A Christmas Story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan,
    Thank you for the fantastic tutorial. I had seen something like this done but your tutorial makes me feel I can do it! So many wonderful Christmas movies but this year, I'm looking forward to catching, "Its a Wonderful Life"---"everytime a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!" Thanks, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love snowmen! Cute ornament. Fave movie has to be its a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So clever and cute!! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am loving these ornaments! My favorite Christmas movie is Miracle on 34th Street

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG..how cute is this..I wish I had your creative mind..thanks for sharing.
    My favorite Christmas Movie is the classic Miracle on 34th Street.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now isn't that the cutest thing ever!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute ornament Susan! My favorite movie is Miracle of 34th Street.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!