Monday, November 18, 2013

12 Days of Ornaments: Day #2

Good Morning!

Welcome to Day 2 of our 12 Days of Ornaments!

Rhonda Merry here to present our next ornament.
I love handmade ornaments.  I have made ornaments for 
my Christmas tree every year since my kids were little. 
 Usually with my kids but now with the Little Blue House.
 I will never tire of this.

Today I have a lovely little Christmas tree
ornament to make with you.  It seems like a lot of steps
but it didn't take long to complete at all.

  

List of Supplies used:
4" round paper mache ornament
small print paper by Authentique
green paper for tree by American Craft
Fiskars leaf/petal punch
Pencil
tweezers
gold craft paint:Folk Art Metallic Gold
gold wired tinsel trim
Maya Road star pin
paint brush
Quick Quote Chalk Inks: Limeade, Biscotti
Helmar 450 or a quick dry adhesive
Mod Podge
cork, scrap piece of  for trunk

Here's how I made it...

Paint the edge of the ornament
 with the Metallic Gold paint and let dry.
(You can speed up the dry time with a heat gun)

 Using the ornament as a template,
draw 2 circles with your pencil and cut out.

Coat both, the back of your paper circles and
the ornament with Mod Podge.

This will give you a slick surface to better 
position the papers. 

Trim excess paper and ink the edges with
the Biscotti Chalk Ink.

To make the tree I used the Fiskars
leaf/petal punch. The smaller leaf
is what I used to make the tree.
I'll save the larger leaves for another project.

Ink the edges of the pieces.

Using a pencil or your paint brush, give
the leaves a little curl by pressing and rolling
in your hand.


Next, attach the trunk and place the star to
 give you an idea of the placement for your first 
tree piece. Start from the top and work down.

Place a little dollop of your quick dry
 glue on tip of leaf, 

 and layer.



The great thing about the tacky glue
is that it is forgiving and will allow you 
time to adjust the leaves of your tree.
Time to trim the tree.

Place your star.

Measure out the tinsel and clip.

Place a little glue under branches,

and adhere your tinsel trim.

Oh, Christmas tree,
how lovely are your branches...
Be sure to post a comment and you may be the lucky winner that gets to hang this ornament on their tree! 

Merry Crafting everyone!
Rhonda

WINNER from Day #1: Melody Soroka
Congrats to Melody! Please stop by the LBH to claim your Snow Globe Ornament...Thank you for commenting!

24 comments:

  1. I love that ornament. The tree looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Melody.. and very cute lil tree..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are so STINKIN creative!!!!! Cute cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! So cute and festive, yet simple. Would be a great ornament to make with my niece :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Melody. I know you'll enjoy this!!!!!

    Rhonda - beautiful project and I know it'll go over big in your house and the winner's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, you are toooo good. Love this ornament. The gold tinsel makes me think of my Christmas tree when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute!!! Love the little tree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Melody!
    Rhonda, Rhonda, Rhonda! Great job on the darling ornament! At first I thought you'd used a small hoop, but I see it's paper mache ornament instead. I might try making some of these with Avery! Would love to win this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooooo excited! Thank You LBH!!
    This brightened my Monday morning!

    "Oh Christmas Tree" definitely reminds me of my early Girl Scout Leader days. This would be great (&inexpensive) for a group project. If needing to save more $$$ you could even make circle with Chipboard.....
    or I have "sprinboarded" off Linda's comment about wooden hoops & attached it to sewing hoop hanging in LBH restroom. Just imagine the possiblilities with that combo.
    Have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Rhonda. The layered tree looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful ornament, and you provided such great instructions for creating it. I can't wait to make one of my own now.
    Thanks - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! The tree idea is so versatile - ornaments, cards, page embellishments. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the layers and textures. The tinsel is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. really really cute Rhonda & love your detailed instructions along w/pictures. I'm already thinking of a variety of papers (different colors/papers) you could use - like white designer paper (embossed maybe) edges in gold or silver w/opposite color of tinsel. Would be a great little tag to attach to presents as additional gift...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute ornie! Who doesn't love tinsel--nice touch. You are so creative, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely adorable! Can't wait to make some of these to go with gifts I plan to give. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great ornament. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!